This school year was incredible, and could not be summarized with a slogan better than our PTA theme: Go Green: We Are What We Grow. Sope Creek grew in many ways this year and has much to celebrate.
- The HET (Highly Effective Teaching) Model has impacted our teachers and students as we worked to implement Stage 1: The Physical and Emotional Environment of the Classroom. Many Sope Creek teachers attended Model Teaching Week in June of 2008, and they will continue to implement the HET Model through Stages 2-5 during Model Teaching Week in June 2009.
- Ten staff members attended the Schools Exceeding Expectations Conference and were immersed in a school district where the HET Model has been fully implemented. They attended various schools, received training on the latest brain research regarding the differences between males and females (and how to best teach them), conducted book studies, and collaborated with teachers from all over the country.
- Through the tireless work of our PTA, we were able to implement new programs such as immersion days on Early Release Days, allowing students in-school being there experiences centering on the Presidential Election, Health and Nutrition, and Going Green.
- Our Foundation was able to continue to fund-raise and to complete their committment to place a SMARTBoard in every classroom! The SMARTKids Campaign became a reality, and all of our students are allowed opportunities for effective multi-sensory teaching and technology integration every day.
- The Foundation introduced additional after school enrichment opportunities such as Brainy Builders and a Tennis Program. Summer Drama Camp through Blake Cooper Productions will be returning this summer to provide drama instruction!
- Close to 100 Parent Volunteer Substitutes were trained this year so that we could fully implement Data Teams and give our teachers time to collaborate monthly; planning for increased student achievement in math.
- Seeds of Nutrition partnered with the school and began our garden to table initiative. New garden beds were constructed and students enjoyed learning the joy of growing and eating fresh foods.
- Our PE Department introduced Fitness Clubs, allowing all fourth and fifth graders a chance to participate in physical activity daily: even if they would not attend PE during their specials time.
- We received Green School Status!!!
- Students excelled in academics, and were recognized with many awards that include The Dazzling Diamonds Award, Recognition by the CCSD Board of Education, Writing Fair Winners, Student Performers in a Benefit Concert with Banks & Shane, Spelling Bee Winner, and National Math Contest Rankings.
- Student organizations raised money for various charity organizations such as The Center and Nothing But Nets.
We have so much to celebrate as we reflect on the 2008-2009 school year. The vision that began the year, "We Are What We Grow" became a reality as we grew new programs and new initiatives at Sope Creek to benefit our students. It is exciting to introduce the theme for 2009-2010 school year:
Our vision for the coming school year is that we can help our students develop the skills they will need to compete in a global society. We will also help them better understand themselves as we "Celebrate Our Eight" and focus on the eight multiple intelligences.